A statement by the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) said the commission had paid for 26,287 pilgrims’ spaces in Mashair and reserved another 26,000 to be fully secured by the end of business today (February 13) pending awaited remittances.
The commission’s Assistant Director Information and Publication, Fatima Sanda Usara, said the 26,287 fully secured spaces cover the pilgrims’ deposits so far received.
According to her, the proactive move to reserve space in Mashair by Prof. Abdullahi Saleh Usman-led NAHCON was meant to ensure compliance with the February 14 deadline given Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah (MOHU) for finalising contract agreements by Hajj-participating countries before the closure of the Nusuk Masar contracts’ portal.
She said: “As part of this effort, Prof. Usman signed an agreement on Friday, January 17, at NAHCON’s Ummul Judd office in Makkah. The signing followed wide consultations with key stakeholders, particularly the Forum of State Chairmen, board members, and a representative of the Presidency who were part of the delegation. “It would be recalled that Prof. Usman acknowledged the collaborative role of Malam Idris Almakura, Alhaji Faruku Yaro Aliyu, Malam Abubakar Salihu from the states’ forum, and Malam Ameen Amshi, representative of the Presidency, in the screening and selection process.
“Hence, after the successful engagement of the service provider early in the year, and to prevent any last-minute setbacks, the NAHCON chairman sought and received approval from Vice President Kashim Shettima to travel to Makkah and finalise this critical contract — an essential requirement for uploading visas scheduled to commence on the February 19.”
The statement said Prof. Usman expressed appreciation to the Vice President for his support, confidence, and non-interference in the commission’s operations, “which have enabled swift and decisive action in preparing the grounds for a smooth Hajj process for 2025 Nigerian pilgrims”.
The Vice President’s quick response to the request to travel to Saudi Arabia to resolve any bottlenecks, the commission said, paid off well with the reservation now put to rest.
Usman urged intending pilgrims to follow NAHCON news outlets for updates and remain calm as all efforts have been put in place to ensure that they experience a convenient and hitch-free Hajj this year.
by Tajudeen Adebanjo @TheNation













